Wednesday, August 28, 2013

VMA Debacle

Well, as you can guess my title, I am writing about the VMA's. Without hesitation I will proudly admit that I did not watch it. In recent years I have decided to consciously quite watching much MTV, though admittedly I DO still watch re-runs of Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant when my kid's aren't around, I have made a conscious effort in recent history to try and set an example of positive television for my children.

Okay, now that I have admitted that I did not watch them, I will write what I have to. I am a mom, and as such I look at the world through a whole new set of eyes. I see things in both positive and negative lights. I read enough on the VMA debacle to feel confident is saying that it was just exactly that, a debacle of the greatest proportions.

First let's address the Miley situation. I'm sorry, this was not appropriate in the least bit. I do NOT want my daughter watching her and thinking it is okay to behave in such an awful manner. Sexuality is fine. I have no problem with it. In fact, I feel it is healthy... in the right context. For me, that is in a loving committed relationship (yes, I'm talking marriage here) and in the privacy of your own home. There is no way I would be caught dead prancing around groping a man's crotch (who is MARRIED and a FATHER!) or behaving so lewdly! And heaven help either of my children if they were caught behaving this way. No joke, they would not see the light of day for a month. Yeah, I'm that mom.

When did it become okay for a woman to behave this way. Look, I'm all for women's rights. I fancy myself somewhat of a feminist, but being a feminist does not equate to being a slut. Being a feminist equates to respect for yourself, loving your body no matter what it looks like and loving other women just the way they are. It also means giving women a voice. I'm not talking about a voice that gives them an excuse to behave in such a manner as to disrespect themselves, but a voice to speak up for what is right. And what is right here is for her to have enough self respect to say "I'm beautiful, just the way I am. I don't need a man's attention to prove that and I don't need the world's attention to prove that."

We have fallen so far away from what it means to have self respect that girls are now finding it attractive to thrust themselves upon men like they are some consolation prize. Girls, I have news for you. You deserve so much more respect than this! You are not a conquest. You deserve to find a man that treats you as a special gift, perfect and beautiful just the way you are. You deserve to find a man who will work with you, being your partner and helpmate, building you up along the way. You do not deserve to feel that being immodest is going to get you the attention you so desire. In fact all it does is end up in a broken heart and a lonely home. Having the courage to stand up in the face of what the world tells us is sexy is what it means to have self respect. Having faith that you are beautiful just the way you are is enough and the sexiest thing in the world.

Now that I have said all of that on the girls, let me address the boys. Robin Thick, you are disgusting. Taking advantage of a young girl in a vulnerable state is no way to be a man! You are a father for goodness sake, stand up and act like one! Would you want your children to behave in this manor. I certainly hope not, because if you think it is okay for a man to treat a young lady in such a manner you, my sir, need to have your head examined. Yeah, I know I just said it bluntly and (to some) hatefully but let me tell you folks, if a scum bag like this were to come around my daughter there would be hell to pay. Then again, I hope I am raising my child to know she is beautiful no matter what and that this attention is not what she should be getting.

On that note, if I EVER caught my son behaving this way I would definitely be kicking his butt from here to kingdom come. Again, this is about self respect. My son better not think it is okay to be giving ladies this kind of attention. You bet your bottom dollar if he did, I did not do my job as a parent correctly. There is no reason at all for a man to behave in such a manner as to give positive reinforcement to this kind of behavior.

While I'm at it, here is another fact that ticks me off. Where in his right mind did he think it is okay to start talking/singing about blurred lines? Hello!! No woman (okay so maybe there are a few out there, but see above rant) wants to feel so objectified! Why would you think it is fun to sing about sex in such a manner? How disrespectful can you be?

What happened to honoring and cherishing your wedding vows? For someone who is married, don't you think it wise to take some stock in those vows you quoted before your partner? I'm sorry, but if my spouse were to sing a song about that, I may have to stop and take stock in his faithfulness to me. Luckily I don't have to worry about that though, since my in-laws raised their boys to be respectful of women. By the way, where is this man's self respect?

Why on earth is he encouraging this young girl to behave in such a manor. I have to wonder how a father could look at this once clean cut young lady and encourage such a behavior. I would certainly hope that a decent father would be ashamed of her behavior, especially when so many young girls STILL look up to her.

With all of this being said, I want you all to know I have nothing against feeling sexy. In fact I am all for it, but there is a line that needs to be drawn and it has been crossed over on many regards. You can still be sexy while leaving yourself covered. In fact, often times men find the mystery more sexy than the "nothing left to the imagination" look.

1 comment: